On the Road to Perachora
SCHINOS (ancient oenoe)
The church of St Andrew, 2 in Loutraki itself, is the most prominent feature in the old spa town. It was built in 1345 by the Byzantine Emperor John VI Kantakouzenos in commemoration of the persecution of St Andrew. The bearing structure of the church was seriously damaged by the earthquake of 1981, and has had to be supported. However, the repair work is scheduled to be completed soon, and the church will be restored to its original form.
St Andrew has a11 the features typical of Byzantine churches. It is a three-aisled basilica with a dome resting on a cylindrical drum, a tripartite sanctuary and an interesting stone-built screen. According to the local people, its walls were once covered with paintings, but these have disappeared. On the north side of the precinct, some steps lead down to a cave in which St Andrew took refuge from the Roman soldiers who were pursuing him. According to tradition, after he had entered the cave a thick spider's web covered its entrance so that the saint's pursuers could not see where he had gone.