On the Road to Perachora
SCHINOS (ancient oenoe)
a distance of 14 km from Loutraki, along the road to Perachora, on an imposing
site and at an altitude of some 700 m., on a spur of the Geraneia
mountains and above the calm waters of the Gulf of Corinth, stands the
nunnery of Hosios Patapios. The
interior of the nunnery is reached by a spiral flight of 144 steps; amid
the pine-trees on the right, stands the chapel of the Hosia Mary of Egypt.
The nunnery was built in 1952 by Prokopios, Metropolitan Bishop of Corinth, and dedicated to Hosios ('the Blessed') Patapios. Patapios was born in the fourth or fifth century at Thebes in Egypt and spent much of his life as an ascetic in the desert. Later, he visited Vlachernae in Constantinople, where he dedicated himself utterly to God, work for many miracles and help to his fellow men. He died at a great age and was buried in the church of St John the Baptist in Constantinople. From there, his relic was brought to the Geraneia mountains by other ascetics and sealed in a cave.