On the Road to Perachora
SCHINOS (ancient oenoe)
What is called the 'German road' leads east of Loutraki and after 10 km. of fine scenery brings us to the nunnery of the Holy Trinity, set amid the serenity of the verdant forest. The nunnery was founded in 1962 on a site which since 1933 had been occupied by a chapel built by the nun Christodoule. It is a dependency of Esphigmenou Monastery on Mt Athos, and follows the Old Calendar: Today there are seven nuns. Nearby are the chapels of Our lady 'Zoodochos Piyi' (1969), of Sts Cosmas and Damien, and of Our lady 'Aghia Skepe'. Also in the vicinity is the spot known as Golgotha, where there are schematic depictions of the divine drama.