On the Road to Perachora
SCHINOS (ancient oenoe)
Our Lady 'tou Prathi' is one of the most important Byzantine monuments in the Loutraki area. It lies 20 km. from Loutraki, at an altitude of 1,150 metres on an idyllic plateau in the Geraneia mountains, surrounded by pine-trees and firs. Once there was a wealthy coenobitic monastery on the same site; its history is recorded from the Byzantine period to 1821. Of that original foundation, traces of some cells and storerooms have survived, along with the catholicon, which dates from the eleventh century. It was dedicated to Our Lady 'Phaneromene', but it is popularly known as Our Lady 'tou Prathi'. The church is most notable for its excellent wall paintings, in the Byzantine style and on Biblical themes. On the right-hand door of the sanctuary is a plaque recording that the wall paintings were executed in 1466.
Another church, dedicated to the Dormition of Our Lady, was built at a later date a few meters to the north of the old catholicon. This is a notably well-constructed three-aisled basilica with a dome. The enchanting natural setting of the two churches and their wealth of history make a visit to the site unforgettable.